16.6km, One Way, Hilly, Easy, Rail Trail, 2 hours.
Roll downhill from Beechworth to the main trail. Alternatively take the Beechworth Spur line up the hill to Beechworth. Watch your navigation as the turn to Beechworth is easy to miss. The Beechworth spur line takes in forests and farmland, travels over the impressive bridges with their curved ramparts, and is home to echidnas wallabies and wombats. Uphill is a little challenging, while downhill is a breeze. Link to the main trail to cycle Wangaratta or Bright, whichever takes your fancy!
Best Things about This Ride
- Echidnas and other Australian animals that live along the trail.
- Diffey Road Bridge
- Pennyweight Winery right on the track
- Great views of the countryside
- Heritage brick bridges.
- Picnic areas
- Historic Beechworth
Things to Watch out for
Cycle this route anytime – in winter pick a sunny week and you will love it! In summer watch for the cooler days. .
- Short DescriptionThe Beechworth spur line takes in forests and farmland, travels over the impressive bridges with their curved ramparts, and is home to echidnas wallabies and wombats.
- Trip PlanningOne Way Ride, links to Murray to Mountains main trail
- RegionNorth East Victoria
- StartBeechworth or Everton
- Time24 hours if uphill towards
- GradingEasy / Medium
- TrafficRail Trail
- SeasonsAll - pick your days in winter