1120km, Flat/Hilly, Medium, Unsealed/Sealed, One Way ride, Quiet roads, Train both ends.
Cycle from Adelaide to Melbourne on this wonderful route with a taste of the outback. Enjoy the historic ports, a cycle through the wineries, a trip across the Mallee through real Australian outback towns and love the ancient hills of Gariwerd. The painted silos along the way loom out of the flat landscape and are a joy to see. Finish through the Brisbane Ranges National Park at the satellite township of Bacchus Marsh and train into Melbourne to avoid the traffic.
Best Things about This Ride
- The locals – so friendly and welcoming
- The fantastic old towns
- All the Mallee backroads – flat, fast and fun
- Wonderful old pubs
- Painted Silo Art Trail. Wow!
- Free Camping
- Great Accommodation in Hopetoun right by the lake. Get up for the Mallee sunrise!
- The hills and views coming out of Adelaide
- The Murray Towns and ferries.
- The friendly horses
- Genuine country
- Great views cycling through Gariwerd National Park (the Grampians)
- Finishing with a downhill run from Ballarat
Things to Watch out for
Cycle this route anytime but go Adelaide to Melbourne with the prevailing wind. In summer it can be very hot and you will need to carry water as there is little support during the days. Watch the weather and choose autumn, winter or spring