260 km One Way, Flat/Hilly, Medium/Hard, Sealed/Unsealed, 25 hours.
Cycle from Phillip Island to Port Welshpool along the rugged coastline, through rolling emerald Gippsland farmland and then join the Great Southern Rail Trail and find the arty crafty towns. Cycle back to Leongatha through the southern Strzelecki Ranges up the hills to see the views of Wilson’s Promontory. Visit Agnes Falls – the largest single drop waterfall in Victoria. Love the fresh produce, the charismatic country towns, friendly locals and great scenery.
Best Things about This Ride
- Philip Island on the back roads, with beaches and bush.
- Kilcunda where you can stay or camp right on the cliffs
- The century old Bourne Trestle bridge
- Bunurong Cliffs cycle – the quiet, back country, great ocean road!
- Views of Wilson’s Prom and Corner inlet.
- The best old fashioned pubs with first class food.
- Great challenge ride through the ferns
- Emerald rolling hills of Gippsland – look just like England but with sun!
- Option to cycle return to Cowes – download Wild Coast Rolling Country.
Things to Watch out for
Cycle this route anytime – in winter pick a sunny week and you will love it!
Best direction starts at Cowes – prevailing wind is a Sou’ wester
Be self sufficient – take water and know how to fix a flat tyre.
Busy in January and hot in February. You need to watch out for bush fire and DO NOT start this ride if fires are forecast.