56 km one way, Flat, Easy/Medium, Sealed/Unsealed, 5hrs.
Cyclewayz has started this ride in Albury. Wind along the wonderful riverside cycle paths in Albury and Wondonga to the trail start on Whytes Rd.
Then cross the Kiewa River to imagine being an immigrant arriving at Bonegilla after the Second World war. Cycle the farms, water and forest views. Stop for a picnic. With slab huts, old trains, remnant stations and the green oasis of Tallangatta there is plenty to enjoy! Cycle out, stay the night and ride back the next day.
Best Things about This Ride
- Sandy Creek Rail Bridge which frames the scenery beautifully and gives great places to stop to admire the views.
- Cycling lakeside with views across the lake to the mountains beyond
- The old trains, stations, goods sheds and goods wagons.
- Side trip to Bonegilla where the migrants came to build the dam and the Hydro Scheme
- The funny story of the NSW/VIC border which was not ratified until 2013!
- Good country hospitality in Tallangatta.
Things to Watch out for
Cycle this route anytime – in winter pick a sunny day and you will love it!
Be self sufficient – take water and know how to fix a flat tyre.
Some unsealed sections are rough so bring a hybrid or mountain bike
Watch the fire warnings and take them seriously.