211km, Flat/Hilly, Medium
Cycle out of Coffs Harbor to the land that time forgot along the beautiful river valleys. Then climb up to adventure and go over the hill tops on the original road from Sydney. Then Cycle through the amazing river country with unchanged towns set on wide rivers. Take in the spectacular unspoilt beaches protected by National Parks.
*note the road closed warnings
Best Things about This Ride
- Fantastic cycling around the majestic Northern Rivers
- Wonderful old Forest, Beaches and River Towns
- Beautiful views and country valleys
- Great deserted beaches
- Whale Watching in season.
- Discover Australian history in northern NSW
Things to Watch out for
The Bellingen to Bowraville road is currently closed. Closed roads may mean that your insurance is not valid if you have an accident. Cycling this route allows the cyclist to bypass a very busy, dangerous section of highway. After discussion with the local council we were able to ride it. It is mostly quite good and has recently been upgraded. There are very rough sections which will most likely require cyclists to walk.
We recommend that cyclists who do not wish to ride this section ride upto both Bellingen and Bowraville from the coast and take a route back to the coast on the opposite side of the rivers.
We do NOT recommend cycling the highway – take the train from Urunga to Macksville if you wish to avoid the road closed section.
- Short DescriptionHistoric Towns, Amazing beach and mountain views, Challenging hill climb, Fantastic rivers
- Trip PlanningOne Way
- RegionNSW Northern
- StartCoffs Harbour or Port Macquarie
- Time18 hours
- AccessCar, Airports
- TrafficQuiet Country Roads
- SurfaceSealed, Unsealed Poor
- SeasonsAutumn, Winter, Spring, Summer is HOT, watch for bushfires