15km, One Way, Flat, Easy, Rail Trail, 3 hours.
The Alexandra Spur line comes off the Great Victorian Rail Trail at Cathkin. It is a great 15km one way addition to what is the longest Rail Trail in Australia. Take the side trip and stay at Alexandra or just drop by for lunch. Alternatively it is a great first touring trip for you or for the kids with an overnight at Alexandra. It is a steady climb up to the Eglington cutting where you are rewarded with stunning views of the Cathedral Ranges. Drop into Alexandra and enjoy the Timber Tramway and Museum. Alexandra has many beautiful old buildings from its mining heyday in the 1850’s.
Best Things about This Ride
- Views of Cathedral Ranges from Eglington cutting.
- The joy of making it to the top of the cutting
- Wonderful old buildings and history in Alexandra
- The sheep along the way
- Steep cuttings
Things to Watch out for
Cycle this route anytime – in winter pick a sunny week and you will love it! In summer watch for the cooler days.
- Short DescriptionThis is a great 15km one way addition to what is the longest Rail Trail in Australia. Take the side trip and stay at Alexandra or just drop by for lunch.
- Trip PlanningOne Way Ride
- RegionNorth East Victoria
- StartCathkin, Yarck or Alexandra
- Distance15km to Cathkin
- Time1.5 hours
- TrafficRail Trail
- SeasonsAll - pick your days in winter